HISTORY

Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere

2001
Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere was established as one of Common Use Institutes by integrating “Marine Station” and “Institute of Algological Research” in Faculty of Science, “Experiment Farm”, “Botanic Garden”, “Livestock Farm” and “Experimental Forests” in Faculty Agriculture, and “Toya Lake Station”, “Usujiri Fisheries Station” and “Nanae Fish-Culture Experimental Station” in Faculty of Fisheries Science, as well as “Oshoro Marine Station”.
2002
Research group “Marine Ecosystem Change Analysis” was established in Section of Ecosystem Conservation.
2004
Hokkaido University was reformed to National University Corporation Hokkaido University.
2012
Muroran Marine Station was moved to Muroran Funami-cho in Muroran City.
2015
Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere became a joint-use facilities (research facility).

History of old facility

Experiment Forest in Faculty of Agriculture(Present:Experimental Forest in Forest Research Station)

1901
The First Fundamental Forest (Later Uryu University Forest) was established at Sapporo Agricultural College.
1902
The Second Fundamental Forest (Later Nakagawa University Forest) was established at Sapporo Agricultural College.
1904
Tomakomai College Experiment Forest (Later Tomakomai University Forest) was established at Sapporo Agricultural College.
1912
Toikanbetsu College Experiment Forest (Later Teshio University Forest) was established.
1925
Wakayama College Experiment Forest (Later Wakayama University forest) was established.
1945
Oshoro Experimental Site was established.
1956
Hiyama College Experiment Forest (Later Hiyama University Forest) was established.
1965
Nayoro Breeding Station was established.
1986
Toyohira Experimental Site was established.

Experiment Farm in Faculty of Agriculture(Present:Experiment Farm in Agro-ecosystem Research Station)

1876
Nogakuen, later the Experiment Farm was established in the Sapporo Agricultural College.
1912
Yoichi Orchard was established.

Botanic Garden, Faculty of Agriculture(Present:Botanic Garden in Agro-ecosystem Research Station:)

1884
Management of the Sapporo museum was transferred from Hokkaido Works Administration Bureau of the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce to the Sapporo Agricultural College.
1886
The Botanic garden, designed by Dr. Kingo Miyabe, was established.
1900
The Botanic Garden was designated to be national government.
1989
The Museum building and other buildings were designated as National Important Cultural Properties.

Livestock Farm in Faculty of Agriculture(Present:Shizunai Livestock Farm in Agro-ecosystem Research Station)

1950
Hidaka pilot farm was established.
1953
Livestock farm was established in the Faculty of Agriculture.

Marine Station in Faculty of Science(Present:Akkeshi Marine Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1931
Marine Station was established.

Institute of Algological Research in Faculty of Science(Present:Muroran Marine Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1933
Institute of Algological Research was established.

Toya Lake Station in Faculty of Fisheries Science(Present:Toya Lake Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1936
The Hakotade Higher Fisheries College was established.
1966
Toya Lake Station was established in Faculty of Fisheries Science.

Usujiri Fisheries Station in Faculty of Fisheries Science(Present:Usujiri Fisheries Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1970
Usujiri Fisheries Station was established.

Nanae Fish-Culture Experiment Station in Faculty of Fisheries Science(Present:Nanae Freshwater Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1940
The Nanae Fish Culture Experimental Station was established.
1966
Nanae Fish-Culture Experiment Station was established.

Oshoro Marine Station in Common Use Institutes(Present:Oshoro Marine Station in Aquatic Research Station)

1908
Oshoro Marine Station is established in Department of Fisheries, Agricultural College of Tohoku Imperial University.
1949
Oshoro Marine station was established in Faculty of Fisheries Science.
1970
Oshoro Marine Station was moved into Common Use Institutes.
photo01photo02photo03photo04